Afan Lido Press Release

LIFESAVERS in Port Talbot are making waves again after being hit by the devastating fire at the Afan Lido. Aberavon Surf Lifesaving Club used the leisure complex as its base and stored all its kit and equipment there. But during December's blaze, which caused so much damage the Lido will have to be demolished and rebuilt, the equipment became contaminated by asbestos and heavy smoke. Now the club has had everything returned in full working order thanks to Neath Port Talbot Council and the Caswell Group, which specialises in asbestos removal and was employed by the authority to seal the building. Company area manager Steve Hughes said: "It would have been awful to see the club lose everything. "We are decontamination specialists and we have an excellent working relationship with Neath Port Talbot Council, so when we heard about the fire, it made sense for us to step in and help." With support from group owner Carl Caswell, the 26 canoes, lifesaving dummies and swimming certificates were cleaned and decontaminated. They were tested and certified by another local firm, REC Ltd, before being returned. Club chairman Harry Worth said: "On behalf of all the club members I would like to thank both the council and Caswell Group for recovering the equipment. All the young people are delighted to have the canoes returned. "They can now continue to perform their lifesaving and water safety activities on Aberavon Beach." Neath Port Talbot Council leader Ali Thomas said: "This equipment is vital for the club to be able to carry out their important lifesaving duties at the beach and that it needed to be recovered at the earliest opportunity. "I'm delighted I was able to facilitate a successful solution and special thanks must go to the Caswell Group who stepped in to help voluntarily. 

"Because of them the club can now carry on their valuable contribution to the community."